Sunday, September 19, 2010

Rules

No picture today. My camera's battery died and Mr. M didn't bring his camera on our travels.

We slept in a bit, stayed in London, and actually hit the gym--or Leisure Club as they call it at the hotel. I wondered why I was having such a hard time lifting the weights. I knew I was a bit out of shape, but this was rather alarming...until I realized the weight weren't in pounds but kilograms.

After the gym we went off to church and then to the V & A--Victoria and Albert Museum. It took us a while to figure out how to move around the place--not all stairs go to all floors. I wanted to see British Galleries, 1760 - 1900, which were on level 4. We made it to that level, but we couldn't get to those galleries from where we were--we had to go up to level 5, cross to the other side of the building, and then go back down a different flight of stairs to the part of level 4 I wanted. Mr. M deposited me there and I spent a couple hours studying the rooms that had objects from 1760 to 1820 while he poked around the rest of the museum. The V&A allow you to take photos of the displays--but this is where my camera battery died. Argh! I tried to buy a catalog of the exhibit, but it's out of print at the moment. I so wish I had a photographic memory.

From here we scurried over to Rules, which bills itself as London's oldest restaurant, on Maiden Lane. It was established in 1798, so my characters could well have eaten there. We had a lovely three hour meal (!) and waddled back to the Tube, deciding to put off further London explorations till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment