Monday, September 20, 2010

Mayfair ramblings


We didn't have to be in town until 10:30 this morning, so we hit the gym again. I discovered that the reason the treadmill had seemed so slow yesterday was because the speeds are in kilometers, not miles per hour. Duh. Not being very good at conversions, I had to guess what to set the speed at by what felt right. Since we were going to do a lot of walking, I didn't spend too much time running.

The reason we had to be in town at 10:30 was I wanted to go on the Old Mayfair London Walk. London Walks puts on a number of organized walks through various parts of London and even farther afield. I was a little disappointed, though, because it wasn't Regency details all the time. I didn't much care about the Victorian and modern stuff--yes, I guess I'm now a card-carrying Regency nut.

Mr. M and I had lunch at The Fountain Restaurant in Fortnum & Mason's. I had a salad of autumnal vegetables--it ended up being very good but not at all what I expected. Mr. M, being somewhat more adventurous, had sardines with soused raspberries.

After lunch I dragged the poor man all over St. James's while I took pictures of buildings. James Lock & Co, pictured above, was founded in 1676 and seems to have been in the same location all these years. (And, yes, they have a web site: http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/home.aspx

We walked from St. James's through Hyde Park down Rotten Row (complete with three horses and riders!) to Holland Park. Whew.

Only one day left in London! Tomorrow begins at the Sir John Soane's Museum, if all goes according to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment