Monday, November 22, 2010

Discussing projects

Some authors love to talk about their books, both published and in progress. I don't. I sometimes wish I did--it might make writing synopses easier. But, eh, I'm just not that good at it. At book signings I often hand folks the book so they can read the back cover copy rather than try to tell them about it.

I recently had someone ask me about the new trilogy I've just agreed to do. Now that I'd accepted the contract, would I tell her about it? Er, no.

I'm not being coy. I guess the plot--what happens in the book--is not so interesting to me as how it happens and the relationships between characters while it's happening and the funny things that happen along the way. And until I start writing the books, I don't know how all that will play out.

2 comments:

  1. This totally makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one, Bea. And I also think my ideas feel a little fragile at the beginning, so I don't want to risk anyone dissing them--or even offering suggestions.

    ReplyDelete