Monday, December 3, 2012

Levens Hall, part 2

There was much more than the topiaries to see in the Levens Hall gardens, though things were a bit soggy from the big rain. There were leafy tunnels,

levens hall garden tunnel and me

ponds with fountains,

Levens Hall garden fountain

grassy paths,

levens hall garden topiary passage

and propped up trees to stand under.

Levens Hall garden propped up tree

One of the things I was most excited to see was a Ha-Ha. No, I’m not laughing. This is a landscape design element I’d come across when I was researching the subject for some of my Naked books. I couldn’t quite grasp the concept, so it was great to actually see it in “action.” I had Mr. M take a picture of the sign that explains it all.

levens hall gardens ha-ha sign 

I hope you can read that if you click on it to enlarge it. Basically, it’s a way to extend the view yet keep farm animals out of the garden without a fence. According to the sign, this is the earliest example of a Ha-Ha. Here’s what it looks like.

levens hall garden ha-ha

The Ha-Ha is where you can see the line between two slightly different shades of green. If you stood at that edge and looked down, you’d see a ditch with water in it. I was tempted to try jumping down and over it to take the picture from the tree side, but was afraid that would end badly, with me wet or with a twisted ankle. I did take the picture looking down, but with no perspective, the photo really didn’t work.

After “playing” in the gardens for quite a while, we were finally ready to make our way to the house.

levens hall garden hedge, path, and hall

No comments:

Post a Comment